Project Name: Modular Multilevel Converters (MMC): Modeling and Energy Control Design
this project is to highlight on the one hand, based on pedagogical way, the modeling and Energy-based control design of MMC converter. On the other hand, the validation and implementation of L2EP’s energy-based controller on OPAL-RT mockup. The main purposes of this study are summarized as follows:
- Elaboration of scientific document for customer, which allows illustrating the physical description, the different levels of MMC modeling and the high-level control design (c.f., Figure 1) for this promising topology of power converter.
- Establishment and validation of L2EP’s control strategies using a power scale model of the MMC, marketed by OPAL-RT (5 kW - 10 SMs): Offline and real time simulation studies for MMC operating on power control mode.
- Illustration of the Perunit concept for the control design of MMC: Comparison study between the high-level control methods based on high power (1 GW - 400 SMs) and lower power (5 kW - 10 SMs) scale converters.
- Extension of the study for MMC operating DC voltage control mode: Application to MMC-HVDC point-to-point link based on OPAL-RT’s MMC mockup.
MMC Control structure on energy based control mode.
Period:18 months from May 16, 2017
Context: Implementation and validation using real time simulation of L2EP’s control methods for OPAL-RT’s MMC mockup
- Research and development:Depict the performances of L2EP energy-based controller of MMC applied to OPAL-RT MMC mockup using Matlab Simulink environment as well as RT-Lab and OPAL-RT tools.
- Economic: Have a reliable controller that will be delivered to the customers with the OPAL-RT MMC mockup.
- Education and transfer: Elaboration of scientific and didactic documents, which allow illustrating and depicting the modeling and controlling design of the studied converter. These documents can be used for costumers as well as new engineers or PhD students on the topic of MMC and its integration on HVDC transmission systems.
- Partner n °1: OPAL-RT Technologies - Address : 1751 Richardson, suite 2525 Montréal (Québec) Canada H3K 1G6.
- Partner n °2 : L2EP Laboratory in Lille - Address: Univ. Lille, Arts et Metiers ParisTech, Centrale Lille, HEI, EA 2697 - L2EP -Laboratoire d’Electrotechnique et d’Electronique de Puissance, F-59000 Lille, France.
- Partner n °3: OPAL-RT Europe - Address : 196 Rue Houdan, 92330 Sceaux.